Until I am actually living in Italy and riding my old bikes through the hills and gorging myself on local produce, I will have to look forward to attending L’Eroica. It’s on again this year, from the 30th September to 8th October and Peloton Cycling Tours can take you there with a great package. Book yourself a spot, take some photos, then come back and tell me how awesome it was.
From the Press Release: L’Eroica (‘The Heroic’). It’s recognized as one of the most significant and unique cycling events in the world. There’s nothing else like it. Vintage bikes (pre-1987), gravel roads, hills and the best scenery in all of Tuscany. This is not a race, but a festival and celebration of all the things you love about cycling. The spirit of the event and the riders is overwhelming.
There’s no sports drinks here, it’s coffee and wine. There are no energy bars, it’s cheese and meat. There’s no talk of personal bests, average speeds or wattage. There’s no STRAVA, no Garmins or any of that malarkey. You put on a wool jersey and a stupid hat and go for a ride. A ride back in time.
All 5000 riders are encouraged to dress in classic wool jerseys, wooly shorts, goggles and leather shoes. If you don’t own your own kit prior to the ride there’s a vast bicycle market in town selling a huge array of vintage clobber. To hark back to the glory days of Coppi, food stops are buffets of fruit cake, stews, and wine. All these details conspire to make L’Eroica the best catered and the most handsome ride in the world.
Fun, that’s what L’Eroica is all about. No one was taking this even remotely seriously. If you’re racing it, you’ve missed the point. It’s a chance to ride a classic bike, dress up in retro clothes and have a laugh. Some people match the vintage of their clothing to the vintage of their bike but for others it’s more of a hotchpotch. The main thing is that it falls into the broad category of ‘old stuff’.
Peloton Cycling Tours can guarantee entry into the event so you avoid the complicated entry system. We can organize modern classic and vintage road bikes. We take care of everything so you can enjoy this incredible event.
Tuscany is more beautiful than what you expect it to be. Explore rolling hills as you follow cypress-lined, winding roads. Sleepy hilltop villages hidden behind medieval walls. Peaceful farmland with age-old vineyards. The flavors of a cuisine that is as simple as it is delicious. Remarkable wines made with pride, following centuries-old recipes. The colors of a landscape that changes with each season. The rhythm of a life, still tied to traditions.
Tuscany has a magic that captures you and makes you slow down and enjoy the moment. Join us for a taste of this region, its wines, its food, and its people. Exceptional riding, beautiful landscape, delicious food, great wines and the locals’ charm will all blend together to create a trip of lifetime. Learn how to live la dolce vita.
This is your chance to ride the same roads as the greats, Coppi and Bartali. You’ll see parts of Tuscany that regular tourists will never see, but wish they had. If you’re made of sterner stuff, learn to appreciate the feel of Merino wool. If you happen to own a good-looking, pre-1987 steel-framed machine, the randonneur that is L’Eroica might be what you and your bike have been waiting for.
Get a group of mates together or bring your wife or partner. It’s not all about the bike, we have other cultural tour, including walking tours, visits to wineries and cooking lessons.
• 8 nights’ accommodation in a 4 star converted castle with Buffet Breakfasts & Dinners
• Superb guided rides with knowledgeable & friendly locals
• Visit the Tommasini workshop in Grosseto and see how traditional steel frames are made.
• Visit Crisp Titanium and see a new artisan creates beautiful titanium frames.
• Visit traditional Chianti winery estates to learn about the wine and do some tasting
• Take traditional Italian cooking lessons
• Walking Tours of Siena and San Gimignano
• Guaranteed entry into L’Eroica – (L’Eroica bikes can be organised)
• Visit the L’Eroica Fair. An amazing market filled with every vintage part or clothing you can imagine.
• (For those with larger feet (45+) if you don’t have vintage/retro cycling shoes, we suggest you source some before you get to Gaiole. You can buy shoes at the fair, but the larger sizes are hard to find.)
• All evening meals at the hotel or surrounding villages, plus 2 free nights to explore Siena and San Gimignona on your own
• Transfers to, and from, the train station
• A Tour cycling kit valued over $250: Jersey, shorts, vest, cap, socks and neck buff.
Contact Ashley Petit at Peloton Cycling Tours to book your place. Head to the website for more information and pricing.